This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Original Photo URLs and Other Issues

May 29, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Hi Sam,

I'm checking out the new version of the screensaver.  I've found some odd things.  I should point out firstly, I'm a VB programmer, not c# and I'm using VS 2010 on Windows 7 64bit but I'm compiling for x86 and dropping the compiled items into system32.  I've changed both FlickrNet and the screensaver to use Framework 4 - no errors from that change.

First and simplest:  ImageManager.CalcUrl needs " return new Uri(p.MediumUrl); (and the other sizes) " as a URL isn't a URI.

Second issue is that the search appears not to return the URL for original files, which means the best you can do is use the next smaller size.  Unfortunately, I normally restrict my uploads to 1024 max long side, so my original file is the normal large size, but doesn't show as large.

Third one is a problem with multiple screens and possibly caused by Windows 7.  The second call to delete the BackupFiles directory fails as the directory is in use.  There's a further issue somewhere else which I think is coming from trying to download the same file again from the thread running on the other screen.  I'm seeing some zero length files in the BackupFiles directory and I get a few app crashes.  All these items are probably related.

I didn't see any issues like this in the past with the previous version on Windows XP with multiple monitors and I did sometimes see an image on both screens at the same time.

Thanks,

Joan (Silver Spot)

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM
Edited Jun 14, 2010 at 3:39 PM
Hi The code to create the backups is new - and it is running once for each monitor, hence the thread issues when trying to download the same files etc. It should only be run once, perhaps on the primary monitor, so I'll change the code to do that instead. As for the issue with large photos not being available if the 'largest' photo is the original - I will have to work on this one as its not something I can test easily myself, as most of my images are sufficiently large to not cause an issue. Sam